Today we wanted to use up a few things in the fridge and make a fuss-free meal.
Just waiting to be used sooner rather than later were these ingredients:
- Left-over mashed cauliflower, previously lightly boiled in a little salted water
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Spring onions (scallions)
- Almond flakes
- Big field mushrooms
Mix the first 4 ingredients together with a little salt, pepper and olive oil.
Rub some more olive oil into the smooth tops of the mushrooms, previously wiped clean.
Pile and press the cauliflower filling into the mushroom ‘cups’.
We preheated our sandwich press and cooked ours there. You could also do these in a little toaster oven, or under the grill using a gentle heat. If you were to make lots of these at once, you’d use your large oven.
Possible variations or additions:
- Cooked rice, millet, quinoa, burghul or cauliflower ‘rice’
- Fresh snipped herbs, ground spices such as chili, paprika or nutmeg, dill or fennel seeds
- Sunflower or pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, chopped walnuts
- Other cheeses (dairy or non-dairy)
- Left-over cooked vegetables, finely chopped
What are your favourite fillings for mushroom cups?